Friday, June 24, 2011

Reality: The Non-Fiction Side of Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Today is Friday. Thank goodness my daily job as a Method Transfer Analyst at a pharmaceutical company is over for two days while I shoot a wedding and edit pictures.

As much as I love photography, I have pulled back a bit. I’ve cancelled all my promo work. I told Dan last night I couldn’t talk about shooting a wedding on November 5th because it is two hours away and I won’t return home from Denver until the 3rd. I’m not putting my life on hold because of Eosinophilic Esophagitis or Gastroenteritis. I’m reprioritizing.

Okay, whom am I kidding?

The fact is no different than when we had 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina- I am addicted in formation. My current read? Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America edited by Dr. Glenn Furuta, Tylyn’s soon to be doctor in Colorado. I even dreamed last night I was shooting a wedding and was describing to the guests about the disease and he was there listening. Dr. Furuta stood up and explained it had all been a misunderstanding and he would make Tylyn better. I woke up feeling sad that it wasn’t true. It was here. Forever.

I’ve been contemplating going back to school in the spring after my company closes. Something I had considered before for retraining, but set aside because my passion is definitely photography. I now think about the possibilities. The research I could do, the things I could discover, the help I could lend.

Then I realize I’m obsessing a bit like the man in Love and Other Drugs movie. Am I trying to make Tylyn better to make myself feel better? Do I want a simply uncomplicated life again? I don’t know the answers to these questions.

My sister, the counselor, says this is normal. Tylyn is supposed to be heading more towards independence. Instead I’m constantly researching the disease. I have to be the translator for the doctors to my daughter and my family. I have to be the educator for people who look at you and say, “What is it again? In English please. “

Take yesterday for instance Tylyn called after her barium swallow study. It went well except the doctor was concerned because her stomach was slow to empty during the study. Normal is five minutes to begin; hers did nothing for 13 minutes and then had five minutes of doing nothing.

My immediate question was, “So did it start emptying at 5 minutes? “
“No, it waited until 13 minutes.”
“And then it waited five minutes?”
“I don’t know, “ was Tylyn’s response.

How am I supposed to decipher what that means? How am I supposed to provide comfort? I have requested the 6th of July off so I can go speak with the GI. Anything else gets muddled and is not relayed correctly.

In addition I have a file for Tylyn; test results, daily sheets and more. I didn’t think I was going have to be a mom, photographer, chemist and medical secretary. Add more to the plate.

On a lighter note the book is a great read. Sure it’s full of all kinds of medical terminology but I’m geeky and love that kind of thing. Some interesting data that can not be ignored is presented in the very first article.

‘Kelly and colleagues in 1995 investigated 75 pediatric patients who had longstanding reflux who were unresponsive to medical therapy. They found 23 patients had persistent esophageal eosinophiliac despite medical treatment of reflux. They hypothesized that there may be an allergic component to this entity and placed patients on an elemental diet for a period of 6 weeks. Of the 17 that began the trial, 12 completed the trial and 10 underwent repeat endoscopy. If the patients had improvement in their symptoms, a repeat endoscopy with biopsy then was performed following food challenges. On completion of the elemental diet, 80% patients became free of long term complaints and all others reported substantial improvement in their symptoms. The median time for improvement of symptoms was 3 weeks. Seventy percent of patients had asthma or eczema. On repeat endoscopy, 60% showed complete resolution of endoscopic findings. There was a significant reduction of esophageal eosinophiliac in all patients and complete resolution in 50%. The mean Eosinophils per HPF before and after therapy were 41 and 0.5 respectively. The investigators showed a decrease in basal zone hyperplasia and papillary height in biopsy specimens. During a controlled reintroduction of foods, symptoms were recreated in 9 of 10 patients a median of 1 hour after the reintroduction of the offending food. The most common agents were cow milk, soy protein, wheat, peanut and egg. With this evidence, Kelly and colleagues suggested an association between EE and an allergic predisposition. ‘[1]

I find this data a bit staggering and would like to read more about additional studies. The scientist in my head wants to read more about the data, the trends and patterns. I want more information about the antigens, the alleles and genetic markers. I guess that is for another day.

On lunch today I also read: 70% of children with Eosinophilic Esophagitis are males. Once again, lots of conflicting evidence to what is found on the internet. I guess I need to read more. Off I go.  




[1] Kelly K, Lazenby A, Rowe P, et a Eosinophilic esophagitis attributed to gastroesophageal reflux: improvement with amino-acid based formula. Gastroenterology 1995; 109 1503-1512.

No comments:

Post a Comment