Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bad paperwork

Tylyn decided to watch My Sister’s Keeper last night. She has already seen the movie and why she would want to see it again is beyond me. For those of you who haven’t see the movie, stop reading right now, for those of you who have, feel free to continue.

We were watching the end and Tylyn asked me why the daughter was consoling Camren Diaz. Her point was why shouldn’t be the other way around.

As I watched it for my second time, tears streaming down my face, I could not come up with an answer. It was a valid point but I could not break away from the mother’s pain of her sick child. To those of us who have children it is completely understandable, how hard it is to give up and let go, not in just times of death but in difficult times of sickness as well.

Always wise to his words Dan answered that the daughter got it, she knew she was going to die and had accepted it. It was the mother that was still in denial and fighting. His response made me cry even harder.

Earlier that night we had picked up Tylyn and gone for ice cream. Driving around we were talking about random things and the subject turned to her one day having children. I tentatively brought up a subject I wanted to discuss in Denver.

“Ty, I know you really want to have children someday, but what if you find out your child will have what you have? “

It isn’t a guarantee or even a fact. I just know her grandmother had GERDs and I have had problems with my throat and allergies that is worse than my mom and Tylyn is worse than me so……. Will her child be worse than her? A chilling question but a valid one I feel especially since many of the articles relay the information that GERDs is similar to EE and often is a misdiagnosis.

Silence came from the back of the car.

After a long pause she replied, “I’ll adopt. I don’t want anyone to have what I have.”

That is a very mature answer for 17 and humbling also. She obviously doesn’t know the costs of adoption or if there is even enough data to prove or disapprove whether this is hereditary although the link is strongly suggestive.

She does understand now that it’s not normal to be sick after eating meals and the average person doesn’t have pain constantly in their abdomen.

Today we started the Zyrtec. The Singulair trial yesterday was unsuccessful as she is itching profusely especially on her face and around her mouth. Because she is eating the same things as always I don’t think the increased allergies are either food or environmental as she was even experiencing it outside our home at lunch.

A quick internet search revealed the FDA updated safety labels on Singulair to include warnings about this suspicious behavior. Symptoms on the warning label include: aggressive behavior, hostility, hallucinations, night-terrors, tremors, irritability, anxiety, depression and even suicide.
Not something I want her on anyway it sounds.

Also today I discovered a letter from the insurance company requesting additional information about Tylyn from her GI & Allergist. I faxed over the requests and also sent them back to her PCP. In the letter both Dr. Fleisher and Dr. Furuta’s names are spelled wrong. Courtesy of the PCP to which the insurance company kindly requested the paperwork be corrected and resubmitted.

I’m hoping she is relaxing today, swimming in the pool, enjoying her night off from work. Perhaps I should join her and not think about allergies or anything else again until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Because Eosinophilic esophagitis is a fairly recent diagnosis for those who suffer from difficulties when eating, there isn’t any medicine for it at the moment. This makes research on this condition all the more important in order to find treatment options for this lifestyle-impairing condition as soon as possible.

    click here for more details

    ReplyDelete